Spoken Language Proficiency Test
Test Description: The SLPT is a test that measures speaking skills of international students applying for an assistantship during a 15-minute interaction. Examinees prepare a 10-minute oral presentation as if they were teaching a freshman class or lab. A topic approved by the department will be sent to the examinee’s email address the day before the scheduled exam. Initially, examinees spend a few minutes informally talking with the evaluators about their background, field of study, and home country. This informal discussion will be general in nature and no prior preparation will be necessary. Next, students will be asked to deliver the 10-minute presentation as if they were teaching.
The SLPT evaluators will assess the examinee's overall comprehensibility by indicating "pass" or "not pass". The SLPT is not a tool to assess an examinee’s knowledge of the subject matter or judge academic success. The focus is on an ability to communicate effectively and to be easily understood by their intended audience. All SLPT tests are recorded. The evaluators will prepare a report that will be given to the candidate within 2-3 weeks after the test. This report will contain both praise and suggestions that the candidate can use for further improvement of language skills.
Examinee's oral English proficiency will be rated in the following areas:
- Ability to speak clearly in English including articulation of vowel and consonant sounds, stress of syllables and main words, and reasonably correct intonation or pitch.
- Key question: Can the audience understand the speaker’s words?
- Ability to communicate ideas in a coherent manner using appropriate vocabulary and correct grammar; communicability or how the examinee connects with the audience will be assessed.
- Key question: Can the audience understand the speaker’s sentences?
- Ability to deliver a mini-lecture including fluency, or the flow of words, and phrasing, or correct pausing for emphasis. The speaker is able to paraphrase, understand questions, and answer easily and readily.
- Key question: Can the audience understand the speaker’s main points?
- Ability to appropriately address the intended audience with a clear, instructive lesson presented in the allotted time frame.
- Key question: Is the speaker organized?
- Overall comprehensibility of the speaker. The speaker is easy to understand throughout and the accent has minimal effect on intelligibility.
- Key question: Is the audience engaged by the speaker?
Registration: The fee for this exam is $70.00 and is paid at the time of registration. After the registration deadline, a late fee of $15 will be assessed in addition to the $70 test fee. Complete the registration form and mail it along with a check to:
Office of Testing Services
1435 W. Walton Street
1 University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
We must receive the fee for this exam along with the registration form by the deadline for the date you choose.
Test fees: The SLPT Registration fee is $70 paid by cash or check. Make checks payable to the University of Arkansas.
ID Requirement: For examinees testing within their country of citizenship any government-issued identification such as passport, driver's license, state ID, and military ID are all acceptable. If you are not testing in your own country of citizenship, you MUST bring your passport in order to be tested.
Scores: Score letters are mailed to you approximately two weeks after your test date. Scores from the SLPT are also forwarded to Graduate and International Admissions.
|June 13, 2014
||May 13, 2014
|July 11, 2014
||June 11, 2014
|August 1, 2014
||July 1, 2014
|September 5, 2014
||August 5, 2014
|October 3, 2014
||September 3, 2014
|November 7, 2014
||October 7, 2014
|December 5, 2014
||November 5, 2014