Each CLEP test is multiple choice (except English Composition with Essay) and 90 minutes in length. An unofficial copy of the score report is printed upon departure from the testing room. The Freshman College Composition test has an additional 90-minute essay. Essay results will be ready in approx. 6 weeks (Numerical scores from the multiple choice portion of the exam by themselves will not suffice for credit, nor will they guarantee credit).
Advantages to taking the CLEP Exam
- You can save time: Get college credit for what you already know. Be rewarded for what you've learned through independent study, advanced high school courses, noncredit adult courses, or professional development.
- You can save money: Compare the cost of a CLEP exam, to hundreds -- even thousands -- of dollars in tuition.
- You can make college more interesting: Move right into advanced courses.
- You can graduate on time: CLEP can help you to the finish line if you're a few credits shy of graduating.
- You can satisfy a proficiency requirement: Demonstrate you've already mastered the content of, for example, a basic math or language course. Great for dual-degree candidates or students just a few credits shy of graduation.
The College-Level Examination Program or CLEP provides students of any age with the opportunity to demonstrate college-level achievement through a program of exams in undergraduate college courses. The University of Arkansas provides this avenue through which above average students may seek advanced standing. Motivated, independent learners may want to explore the possibility of obtaining credit through CLEP. Those interested in CLEP should consult their college advisor regarding degree requirements and CLEP credit.
The University of Arkansas does not allow credit for all CLEP tests. Check the current Catalog of Studies for a complete list of accepted exams.
Each CLEP exam is a total of $117
- $30 is paid to the University of Arkansas when you reserve a seat with Testing Services. Register Online
- $87 is paid to CLEP when you select your exam. Register for CLEP Exams
To have a CLEP transcript sent to UofA, please call (800) 257-9558. There is a $20.00 transcript fee which can be paid by credit card.
All examinees must present two forms (primary and secondary) of identification in order to take CLEP. Examinees testing within their country of citizenship (American students) may bring an unexpired driver's license, a current state or federal ID card, a current passport as their primary ID. Those who are not testing in their own country of citizenship MUST bring their passport in order to be tested. Acceptable forms of secondary identification include: employee ID, student ID, social security card, military ID, or an unexpired primary ID as listed above. All funded military candidates must present a current military ID and a second form of government-issued photo ID.
Please visit the official CLEP website for test preparation information.
Military personnel may be eligible for free exams. visit the official CLEP website for more information.